Information for Members-Committee meeting 14 December 2017
At the meeting of the Golf Club Committee held on 14 December 2017, it was agreed that following each meeting, a summary of the items discussed and actions arising will be made available to golf members via the website.
The Club Professional and the Golf Club
- Pending the changeover of management of the Pro Shop, Murray and Warren met with the Committee and discussed a range of issues including:
- Loyalty Points allocation and impact on ball sales
- Stock of clothing items especially those for Women Golfers (Adele Douglas offered to assist with selection/range)
- Discounts for Club members
- The Committee agreed to review the points raised by Murray and report back in the New Year
President – Richard Oliver (RO)
- RO referred to his December Splash article where he talked about some of his early priorities as the new president.
- RO suggested that if any Member has a suggestion/problem then these should be shared by email with the Committee for subsequent resolution and reply to the member as appropriate.
Treasurer – Tony Murcutt (TM)
- TM indicated there are still some procedural issues to be resolved with Ainslie Group including the timing of reports and other financial issues.
Men’s Club Captain – Kevin Flanagan (KF)
- Discussed Lightning and Weather Policy
- Lightning – players responsible for own safety, warning notices to be placed on course (1st/10th tees and Pro shop counter) on storm days, call players from course after one UBMET (lightning) warnings.
- High temperature days – consider own safety, notices on course and in Pro-shop.
- Wet weather policy – Captain to review conditions with Duty Ground staff on prior day, and then review at 0600 on day in question. If course is closed a general email will be sent to members; social play will only occur after 1:00pm if course deemed safe.
- Other issues
- Pro shop now running competitions until early January
- Hamper Day was considered successful
- Eclectic entry forms for men now available, eclectic fee remains at $5.
Women’s Captain – Dianne Carlos (DC)
- The Women’s Open was successful even though numbers were down due to other District/Club events.
- Need to review the date for next year so the Open does not conflict with other events.
- Women’s Christmas event was successfully held at Braidwood.
- Jenny Whittaker represented the Club at State Finals (vice Fanny Sukhumparnich who was unavailable).
- DC advised she is member of the DGA and raised the awareness of the Order of Merit events.
Men’s Pennant – Paul Kringas (PK)
- Pennant selections are largely completed for the 2018 Pennant Season.
- Pennant teams will be decided by selection rather than volunteers.
- Draft squads and managers have been posted on the notice board.
- New shirts ordered.
Greens’ Committee – Tony Murcutt (TM)
- Final meeting for 2017 was held on Tuesday 19 December 2017 to plan for the NSW Amateur Championships.
- Course will be closed for competition and social play on Sunday 28 January 2017 to allow green staff to prepare the course for the championships to be held on the Monday and Tuesday.
- Volunteers to be sought for the morning of Sunday 28 January 2017 to walk the course to assist to repair divots, repair pitch marks, rake bunkers, tidy garden beds etc.
Junior Coordinator’s Report – David Wicks (DW)
- Currently struggling to attract Juniors
- Juniors Pennants draw available – GLGC can field a good team
- Number of JNJG events scheduled during Pennant season and several of our members have nominated for these
- Royal Canberra Summer Slam – GLGC has entered a six-person team
- Jolly Joker – need additional volunteers, if you are interested please contact David Wicks
- Request for support to Juniors for the South-East Sports Academy program – Committee agreed to fund 50% of cost (total $875).
Pace of Play (NL)
- A proposal to amend tee times to alleviate delays at the 10th hole changeovers was discussed.
- Further discussions between KF/DC/NL to potentially trial revised tee times.
Yellow Tees (NL)
- Need to improve irrigation for the yellow tees and other parts of the course.
Yellow Course competitions need to be regularly scheduled to make the most of the tees.
Roles on the Committee (RO)
- Committee Member’s roles for 2018
- President – Richard Oliver
- Vice President/Project Manager – Norm Loughton
- Captains – Kevin Flanagan/Dianne Carlos
- Treasurer – Tony Murcutt (with assistance from Di Carlos as necessary)
- Secretary/Medical Claims/Welcome to new Members – Ward Gainey (with assistance from Lesley Edwards)
- Greens Committee – Tony Murcutt (with assistance from Mark Hynes)
- Match Committee – Kevin Flanagan/Dianne Carlos/ Paul Kringas/ Adele Douglas/David Wicks
- Pennants – Paul Kringas
- WHS – Mark Hynes to lead with Shane Dawson (Superintendent)
- Marketing and Sponsorship –Adele Douglas plus others
- Website – Craig Stallard
- Golf Handbook/Program – Pau Kringas/Kevin Flanagan/David Wicks
- Junior Coordinator – David Wicks (with support from Fiona Wicks)
- Planning Committee – Norm Loughton/Mark Hynes/Tony Murcutt
Update to Course Signage – Craig Stallard (CS)
- Artwork progressing – delivery expected in early January
- A scale/distance book will be available on the website
Hole in One (TM)
- Member scored a hole-in-one during the Hamper Day
- As the conditions for a hole-in-one as outlined in the members handbook was met, the Committee agreed that the Member be awarded the appropriate prize.
The next meeting of the Committee is scheduled for Thursday 11 January 2018.